Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Alicia's Photo Challege #3: Rule of Thirds

The Challenge: "Have you heard of "the rule of thirds"? Well, "traditionally" when taking portraits, you would imagine your photo being split into thirds, horizontally and vertically... the eyes of your subject would be 2/3 ways up the photo... and centered. While there really isn't anything particularly wrong with this... and as darling as your subject is... it can get boring. Let's try something different...
Feel free to throw your subject far to the left or right, or halves... you'll only figure out what you like if you try it. Remember that with photography, there is no right or wrong. It is how you see something. The beauty of photography is the diversity!
So this week's challenge is simple. Play around with centering and off-centering your subject. See what you like best! But try it all! Don't forget to watch for distracting shadows on the face (particularly the eyes). Then come back next Thursday and link up to share your favorite(s)!


These pictures were taken about an hour before sunset with the camera facing the sun. I was reading the manual to my camera this week and it said something about how you shouldn't shoot directly into the sun or it could damage the camera, so maybe if I get a UV filter for my camera I'd be okay?? I don't know, but I think I'll ask around before I shoot straight into the sun again. :) And some of my pictures had the purpleish circle or streak on part of the picture from the sun, so I also wonder if a UV filter would take care of that too . . . Do any of you know the answer to these questions? . . . anyway . . .
These are my favorite 3:

This one is off to the the left side.


This one is more in the center.


This one is diagnalish and more in the top third.


I was trying to go for a red, white, and blue theme with the upcoming holiday and all, but I don't think that it was quite as obvious as I was hoping for . . . Oh well! :)

Imma Momma

7 comments:

Emmy said...

Wow! Love love love those pictures!
I haven't heard that about shooting into the sun, but I have actually ordered a UV filter so will be reading about it and will let you know what I find out about it.
The first picture looks like it should be in some sort of ad! Wow!

Sarah Sullivan said...

Wow these are wonderful shots!! I especially liked the first one. She is too cute!! I like how you caught her looking down!!
I tend to shoot from the shade if I'm shooting into the sun, if I can.
Lovely shots!!! Sarah

Alicia said...

Thanks for participating, Audrey! I LOVE the lighting in that 2nd picture! I'm sure every camera's light sensitivity is a little different, and maybe it IS a NO-NO, but I'm always shooting into the sun. Usually there is an object between the sun and I, but it's still technically "into the sun"... I just like how the pictures turn out!

Nai said...

The pics are great. The second one is a 3 lessons by Alicia winner. Great lighting, great detail and breaking the 2/3rds rule!

Meet the Smiths said...

Absolutely love your pictures!! They look great!! Love them all.

Not really sure about shooting into the sun.

Daisy said...

Hi! I'm in your ward ;). I have seen your family and your cute little girls but never knew who you were until I found your blog through Alicia's! Great job on the pictures- she is such a cutie!

Christina said...

These are really pretty Audrey, I like them a lot!