Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Procrastination

We were told at the end of last week that if everything goes smoothly our house could be done in about 4 1/2 weeks. I'm sure it won't go QUITE that smoothly, but I'd say between 5-6 weeks could definitely be a possibility. As excited as I am about moving into our new house, my excitement is a little tainted by 2 very big things:

1. Packing
2. Renting out our current home

Ew to both.

I hate packing with a passion. I know something good is at the other end of the tunnel, but it doesn't make it any more fun to do. Anytime we're supposed to pack for a trip, I procrastinate doing it WAAAAY too long. To a point where we find ourselves packing til the wee hours of the morning, and I usually end up deciding to just stay up and not go to sleep. Usually by the time I'm done, I'd only get about an hour or two of sleep anyway and I know I won't want to wake up when the time comes. It just seems more logical to me to stay awake so I won't have to deal with trying to waking up.

Yep, I hate packing .....
and waking up in the morning.

We haven't started boxing anything up yet in preparation for our move ... well, David did pack 2 boxes of stuff in the garage when he cleaned it all out a couple weekends ago. I guess that's something, right?

We're in crunch time now.

-We still need to pack.
-We still need to rent our place.
-We still need to finish building all the shelving in the closets at the house (which is looking AWESOME, by the way. I will do a post with pics of the closets when they're all done. I'm SO excited to have organized closets. David's dad, David, and I have been working on it for about a week now and should hopefully finish up this weekend. - mostly David and his Dad have been the ones working on it, though. It's hard for me to get down there to help as often as I'd like when I have 3 kids to look after.
-We still need to pick some things out for the house ... like paint, for example. We were told today we needed to pick colors by the end of this week. We haven't even gone and looked at paint swatches at all yet. YIKES!! That's a scary thing to make a rushed decision on! It's hard to get out and pick things for the house, because almost every company that sells stuff for a house is open 8-5 (maybe 8-6) on weekdays. Most are closed on Saturdays, but some are open by appointment only on Saturday mornings. So, we usually have to drag our kids along with us (NOT FUN) and David has been taking A LOT of time off of work during the day to get things done (not good).

There's always a never-ending list of things that need to be done each day. I know it will all get done and work out in the end, somehow. But, the process of getting there is a bit overwhelming.

I can feel myself going into shut down mode. I do that when I have too many things going on at once and accomplishing it all seems impossible.
Not.Good.
My house cleaning schedule has been slipping these last few weeks. I've still been cleaning, but I haven't been accomplishing even close to what I'm supposed to each week. Don't even ask me about our timeliness to church on Sundays ...

It's time to get recommitted. WHY is that such a hard thing to do??

I'm thinking that until we move, my 1 week cleaning schedule needs to be spread out into a 2 week cleaning schedule. I just don't have the time to keep up on it the way I'd like to right now.

Somehow, we need to manage to get to bed earlier, so waking up and being on time to places isn't such an impossible task.

I somehow need to figure out a way to organize our "to-do's" so they all get done in the time frame they need to get done in. Not sure how I'm going to do that one. I guess finding somewhere to start would be a good first step?

Anyway, just needed to get some thoughts out ........... and procrastinate the inevitable a little longer too, I guess. ;)

1 comment:

Lindsay and Mike said...

I'm with you. When I get overwhelmed, I also go into shutdown mode. What helps for me is making a list of everything that needs to be done in that week, then I assign an approximate amount of time it will take for each task. Then I divide the list up into 6 days. One of those days, I may have only one project to do that I think will take 5-6 hours. The next day, I may have 3 tasks to will take about 2 hours each, etc. It makes it seem more do-able to me. Remember, the only way to eat an elephant is one slice at a time. ;)