Monday, February 27, 2012

"A Place For Everything, And Everything In It's Place"

The title for this post was Allyson's class saying at school one month. I thought it was pretty fitting.

David and his dad have been working around the clock building shelving in the closets at our new house (in fact, they're there working on it right now and it's 10:47pm)... (correction - 12:30am now)... (correction - David just walked in the door and it's 1:21am). David's dad goes and works on it during the day (David sometimes does when he can/needs to, also). Then David heads over after work and they both stay there working til late. He frequently doesn't get home til after midnight (tonight would be one of those nights).


It. Looks. AMAZING!!!! They've done an awesome job. I was able to go down and help on a few different days. I learned a lot and I even cut some boards on the table saw myself! Ya, I felt pretty cool. Mostly I just passed tools and went and got things that were needed. It was pretty much the same as my job I had for 5 1/2 years before I had kids (dental assisting), except I was passing MUCH bigger instruments this time, lol.

I'm SO excited about how it's all turned out! I took pictures for this blog post before a couple of the closets were finished because I couldn't wait to share how awesome it all looks - but don't worry, I labeled the stuff that's missing in the pictures, so you can get an idea of what it will be like when it's done. :)

One thing I've struggled with a lot in our current house is not having an organized place to put everything. I'll go to grab one thing out of a closet and everything else that's in there comes tumbling down. I REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY wanted to have shelving and things already in place in our new house, cause I knew we would likely never go back and put it all in later. Thankfully, David's dad offered to help in that department and has saved us THOUSANDS of dollars - no question.

Here's some pics of our new closets ...

The office closet



There's one more shelf up high that you can't see in that picture.

The coat closet



The mud room closet



The pantry (my second favorite closet in the house)



The cubbies on the left and right side are for cook books and small items that usually get lost behind all the bigger stuff ... and anything else I want to put there. :)

The guest room closet



The hall linen closet



The laundry room



Kyler's closet



Allyson and Katelyn's closet



The master bath linen closet



David's closet



My closet (My most favorite closet)



David's dad is putting lids on the hampers too, so when they're closed we can sit on them to put our shoes on or whatever. (and it looks nicer that way, too)

I'm THRILLED with how all the closets turned out!!! I can't wait to feel organized again (I felt organized once upon a time before we had kids and accumulated all of the stuff that comes along with having kids).

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU Keith and David for all the time, hard work, late nights, bloody fingers, dirty clothes, muddy shoes, port a potty bathroom trips, and nights sacrificed away from your families to accomplish all of this. It's VERY appreciated and I LOVE IT!!

The only places in our house that won't be super organized right away are the craft/sewing room and the garage. The craft/sewing room is a small room that doesn't have a closet. I found some cool ideas on pinterest for some ways of organizing a room like that ...




It'll probably be a while before I get around to doing anything like that, though. I have some decorating I want to do before I tackle that. :)
The craft room and the garage are both places that can easily be organized later on down the road without completely turning our house upside down to do it.

Things are moving quickly now! All of the hard floors are in, the painter is supposed to start painting tomorrow (he'll take about 2 weeks), then cabinets and counters will go in, and all of the fixtures after that. We'll probably be moving in around the end of March. We're so excited!! It's definitely a very bitter/sweet transition, though. We will miss you Plum Creek/Rock Creekers!

2 comments:

Daisy said...

JEALOUS!!!!!!! I am dying with our messy closets here too! I want to go buy organizing stuff and shelving but I just don't want to put that much into a condo. Your closets look great!!

Lindsay and Mike said...

Looks great! Closets are the KEY to loving a house. I absolutely love my closets. I still have empty shelves/drawers because I have so much closet space. It's the best!!